Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Father Who Taught Me to Work




I grew up in a home with a father that we called the Energizer Bunny. He never slowed down. His favorite hobby was doing projects around the house and yard. We always had a beautiful, well manicured yard. He was always in the yard in the nice weather months. We'd hear him outside our windows at 3 or 4 a.m. It seemed like he never required much sleep, and I suppose he'd get up this early so he could get his yardwork done, and then get into the office. But I appreciate the fact that he taught me how to work! I remember having certain areas of the yard to weed, and mow the grass. He'd also give me other various projects such as painting the fence, or cleaning out an area. I may have complained at the time, I don't know. But it's such a good feeling to be able to look back and admire what you've created, and what you've accomplished by all of your hardwork.

The other morning I was thinking of this as I was watering my newly planted flowers, and the flowers on my porch. Proud of myself and what our front yard looks like. It's taken some work and some time for the plants to grow, but it's looking beautiful this year.

(Now, as far as our back yard, that's another story. Lets just say, if morning glory wasn't a weed, our backyard would be the garden of eden. Any ideas on how to get rid of it. We weed, and the planters are completely filled again in two weeks!)

I'm glad for my Dad, and his example of hardwork. Even though I'm a girl, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and I actually enjoy yardwork. I'm glad for a father who taught me how to work, and take pride in your accomplishments. Thanks for letting me show off my yard.

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Your yard DOES look really good! I always admire your ability to decorate, and it doesn't stop inside the house. You've done such a good job with all the landscaping and planters in your front yard.

Your blog looks great too!

We have battled morning glory for a long, long time, so I've done some reading. I kept feeling like it was multiplying after I pulled it. Turns out, I was right. If you pull it out, it grows faster. The roots go really deep (like 10 or 20 feet) so you can't ever get the whole thing. The only way to get rid of it is to chemically kill it and it sometimes takes several seasons. Round-up works, but it's tricky to get it just on the morning glory and not surrounding flowers/plants. This year, Stewarts has stepped in to help us with the morning glory in the grass and it's worked well :). Good luck!

Unknown said...

I have always enjoyed looking at your house and yard! My dad is a nut with gardening he too would get up around 4am and put classical music on OUTSIDE for his plants and garden. :)