Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Lesson On Charity from a 7 Year Old

Today I took Lauren to one of her favorite friends baptisms. Afterwards I had to run a couple of quick errands, so I took Lauren with me. While we were driving through a large parking lot, there was a man on the corner holding a sign that read, ' Ran Out of Gas, Please Help'. I had noticed the man, but didn't say anything. When Lauren saw him she said, "how sad, that man needs help!" Then a minute later as we got closer to him she said, "I can't believe nobody is helping him. None of the cars that have passed him has given him any money." I ran inside the store to get what I needed. While I there I asked for change from a large bill I had. I then gave Lauren some money and said, "Should we help that guy on the corner?" As we drove out of the parking lot Lauren rolled down the window and handed the man some cash. I then praised Lauren for being kind enough to be concerned about the man, and told her how proud I am of the girl she is. Her kind and charitable heart made any doubts about what the man might use the money for escape my mind. I realized that my sweet daughter was teaching me how to love others unconditionally and giving me a lesson on how to truly be charitable.

No comments: